Search for content in message boards

paul batisto stanculescu

Replies: 1

paul batisto stanculescu

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: stanculescu OR batisto
Hello,

I am researching my grandfather Paul Batisto Stanculescu (born 22 May 1911 and died December 1966.) He may have Americanized his name when he came here, because I believe Paul is not a Romanian spelling of the name. He was the only one in our family (in Seattle, USA) that spoke Romanian, so after he died we lost contact with that side of the family.

All little more about him - We know his family was very involved with the church in Bucharest (or possibly nearby). And that they were very devote and even adopted several girls from the orphanage run by the church. We know he had about 12 sisters (a few were adopted) and that his mother and father had about the same number of siblings each. His father died when he was very young. He was the youngest and his favorite sisters’ name was Neli, who we think never married. He may have been in the Romanian Navy for some time.

He left Romania sometime in the late 1930's (possibly even early 1940’s). Before coming to the U.S. (first NY/Maine, then California, then Seattle), he served in the French Foreign Legion for several years in Africa, and also served in the US Merchant Marines during World War 2 for America. As far as we know, he came alone to America.

I recently got a copy of his SSI from and found that on the form he wrote his name as Paul Stanculescu Batisto (though he reversed it in later years)

Also, it shows that his fathers name was written down as Stanculescu Batisto (possibly reversed the order on the form) and his mothers name was Zanfina Stanculescu (not sure on the spelling of her first name, bad copy of form. could be Zanfira too).

Also, it seems he came from Sulee (??) Dobrugea which seems to be in eastern Romania, though I have been unable to find the village.

Also, there is the name "Stancut" floating between the line where his mothers name is and where his place of birth is listed, so this could either be another name for his mother or a village name.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Maybe from old family stories? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ellie Stanculescu
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
purpsf 26 Nov 2009 4:22AM GMT 
purpsf 16 Mar 2010 8:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic