Search for content in message boards

Lerin (Florina) area

Replies: 44

Re: Lerin (Florina) area

Posted: 1497291808000
Classification: Query
Hi, I actually have relatives from all three of those villages you listed. My mother's side (as far back as we know at least) is entirely from Neret (Polypotamos), and my father's side has roots in Bapčor (Poimeniko), Lagen (Triantafyllia), and Karpešina (Atrapos). People from these villages tended to leave for the US, Canada, Australia...like you mentioned.

I don't recognize any of the surnames you listed, but your search might be easier if you can find out how the names were Hellenized after the Balkan Wars. For example, Dimitrov might have become Dimitriou (though this pattern doesn't always work).

I'd say finding any official records form Bapčor is close to impossible given that the village was destroyed and abandoned during the Civil War...and record keeping at that time wasn't the greatest. Though I haven't really tried that hard to dig up any records to be honest, so maybe you will have some luck! I didn't even know the newer Greek name until recently...so I'd say most information you'd get would be in the form of oral history.

If you have any relatives still in those villages, or relatives who immigrated more recently, try to find the exact family names and then you might be able to request birth certificates or Certificates of Family Status (Pistopoiitiko Oikogeniakis Katastasis) from your direct relatives (parents/grandparents) from a Greek Consulate.

Some villages in the Florina area have Facebook pages that you might be able to use to find relatives too!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hbalkos 1331034988000 
ezzajezza 1323778370000 
Patrick kayse... 1403719183000 
ellen carteau... 1532266787000 
P. Antoniou 1497291808000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic