Search for content in message boards

Shearer and Saenz families

Replies: 0

Shearer and Saenz families

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching this family, both in the US and in Costa Rica.

Sometime around 1910 James William Shearer (known in Costa Rica as Jaime Guillermo Shearer Douglas) traveled to San Jose Costa Rica, probably as an employee of the United Fruit Company. I believe that he was originally from Beeville, Texas.

James Shearer married a Costa Rican woman, Rosalie/Rosalia Saenz Hernandez. Their son Jaime Guillermo Shearer Saenz was born on 10 April 1913. This son's cedula number was 1-369-359-717. I haven't found any cedula number for either of the parents.

I am seeking information on James (Jaime) Shearer Douglas and his wife Rosalia Saenz Hernandez. A family story states that James died "soon" after his son's birth, but I can find no factual evidence of that.

Circumstantially, by the time the son James returned to the United States in 1941, he was using the name Jose Manuel Saenz Hernandez. A family story suggests that he assumed the name of a dead relative of his mother's. James/Jose Manuel had addresses in Cartago, Costa Rica, and returned to this city to live for a while with his second wife, Floranell Shearer. Their daughter, Ann Rosalie Shearer, was born in Cartago in the mid 1940s.

There is some evidence that Rosalia emigrated to the United States, perhaps living for a time in either (or both) the Tampa, Florida or New Orleans, Louisiana. But I have not been able to confirm that.

Rosalia's son, James/Jose Manuel, died in Cartago in May 2001, years before I started my research on behalf of the sons of his third marriage, who really don't know anything about their father. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Penny

Find a board about a specific topic