Search for content in message boards

Birthplaces of bride and groom

Replies: 2

Re: Birthplaces of bride and groom

Posted: 1520225381000
Classification: Query
The month is "9br" = November. (Nine in Latin is "novem".) In many parts of Hungary in the 19th century, everybody got married in November: all the farm work was done, it was cold enough for the food not to spoil, but not cold enough to spoil the party.

It says Halász for the groom's birthplace and their residence, and Bod for the bride's birthplace. Halász is Tiszahalász, the place that was moved in 1876 and renamed Lőrincfalva. Bod is probably Tarnabod, which had no church locally, and was recorded in Boconád.

(I don't blame you for not being able to figure it out. It's atrocious handwriting that's only legible if you already know what it says. For example, I can figure out the first witness because I knew someone by that name.)

20 november.
Officiant: György Szidor
Announcements: thrice
Groom and bride: István Gégus, Erzsébet Vas
Ages: 22, 16
Religion: ditto (RC)
Fathers: János Gégus, Jósef Vas
Witnesses: Ignácz Törőcsik, Mihály Nagy
Birthplaces: Halász, Bod
Residence: Halász

I can't find the bride's baptism in Bod. There was a Joseph Vas who had children in 1821 and 1822 (i.e. 16 years before the marriage where the bride is said to be 16 years old), but they were both boys named Joseph (https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&...~).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kcgustafson 1520215129000 
JPmiaou 1520225381000 
kcgustafson 1520267798000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic