Search for content in message boards

Duchemin, Labarriere, Vautrin

Replies: 3

Duchemin, Labarriere, Vautrin

Posted: 26 Jan 2012 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duchemin, Labarriere, Vautrin
Looking for information on the above names pertaining to the Caribbean in the 18th and 19th centuries. My leads are Cuba, Martinique, and Saint Domingue, though they could all be wrong.

These are the individuals of which I am inquiring:

Marie Leonide Gabrielle (known as Gabrielle) Duchemin, b. April 1836 somewhere in the Caribbean. Parents and siblings unknown. She traveled to New Orleans in 1847 at age 11 with Eleanor Vautrin (married name Labarriere) who was born abt 1787. From then on Gabrielle and Eleanor resided with Francois (Francis) Joseph Laizer and his wife Adelaide Octavia Bienvenu and their family on their estate on the left bank of the Mississipp River in Jefferson Parish. Eleanor died in early 1855 at the age of 68. The succession that was opened left a legacy of $100 to Mrs. Laizer and the remainder (after paying off all debts) of her assets (which consisted of $300+) was inherited by Gabrielle. The sucession also stated that Eleanor was the widow of a Jean Baptiste Labarriere, of whom I know absolutely nothing.

Family lore states the Gabrielle grew up on a plantation in Cuba before coming to New Orleans and was disinherited by her family there.

In information on any of of these Caribbean surnames, whether you recognize the individuals or not, would be greatly appreciated!

Or if you have any ideas as to how to break through this frustrating brick wall of mine, I'm all ears.

Here are the docs that I have:

7 May 1847, New Orleans Incoming Passenger List (from Havana, Cuba)
Eleonore Labarriere, Age 60, from France
Marie Labarriere, Age 11, From France

1850 U.S. Census - Jefferson Parish, Left Bank of the River, home of F. J. Laizer
L. A. Labarriere, age 60, from Martinique
Gabrielle Duchemin, age 14, from Martinique

1855 Succession of Eleanor Vautrin Labarriere (information noted above.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jennjiann 26 Jan 2012 11:51PM GMT 
jennjiann 27 Jan 2012 12:03AM GMT 
MOM50 27 Jan 2012 3:30PM GMT 
MOM50 27 Jan 2012 3:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic