Search for content in message boards

Tucker, Foot, Lagourgue

Replies: 8

Re: Tucker, Foot, Lagourgue

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tucker, Foot, Lagourgue
Yes, I am descended from William Foot's sister, Mary. In one of my books the name is spelled Lagourgne (with an n) but my other reference books have it as Lagourgue. I somehow suspect the spelling with the n is correct, but best to ask a French-speaking person. Duke of Kent Street is in St. George's, Bermuda. St. George's is the oldest town in Bermuda and is sort of a mini Williamsburg type place. It is very interesting to visit. Jehoadan was married to Dennis Lagourgue, who was a sugar plantation owner in San Domingo (Haiti). He had a brother, Pierre. Dennis and Jehoadan had three or four children. The family removed to Charleston as they were worried about the situation in San Domingo, but later returned, where they were caught up in the rebellion. The author of one of my books says, "I have come across an old paper in the Registry Office (Bermuda) which proves that Jehoadan did not die in San Domingo but escaped with two of her children and being reduced to penury, was granted a small annuity by the Bermuda Government."
I have two St. George's marriages:
Elizabeth Matilda Lagourgue to Evan Holliday,12 April, 1813;
Helen Lagourgue to Capt. Henry Crause (2nd Garrison Battalion) on 2 May, 1815. Also a St. George's Baptism for Helen Jehoadan Lagourge, on Aug 8, 1819; father, William, (of Jamaica, gentleman), mother Rebecca Ann. Also a burial for Faith Lagourgue, age 65, Feb 26, 1861, on St. David's Island, Bermuda. Are they your family? Norah McDaniel
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mjmgrove 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
kecory 24 Jul 2009 1:31AM GMT 
@@macdan@clea... 19 Jan 2011 3:43AM GMT 
@@macdan@clea... 19 Jan 2011 3:35AM GMT 
kecory 19 Jan 2011 3:56AM GMT 
@@macdan@clea... 19 Jan 2011 9:07AM GMT 
kecory 11 Mar 2012 12:28AM GMT 
kecory 11 Mar 2012 12:36AM GMT 
@@macdan@clea... 26 Mar 2012 11:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic