Search for content in message boards

Emanuel Evans, Anglesey - minister/farmer in Amlwch and Trefdraeth

Replies: 0

Emanuel Evans, Anglesey - minister/farmer in Amlwch and Trefdraeth

Posted: 1535913076000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans
Hi there, my 5X Grandfather is Emanuel Evans. Emanuel married Elizabeth Jones on 8 Aug 1785. He is listed as a bachelor of Llanrhaidr, and she is of Llansannan Parish. Their children were: Robert - 1787 Amlwch, Griffith - 1792 Amlwch, Thomas - 1794 Amlwch, Hannah - 1797 Amlwch, Thomas - 1798 Amlwch, William - 1803 Rhosmeirch, and Joseph - 1806 Bethel/Trefdraeth. They lived in Amlwch until early 1800's, where Emanuel worked at the copper mines, and then they moved to Tyn Llwyn in Trefdraeth Parish. Emanuel was an Anglican minister in Amlwch (not ordained, so likely a deacon) in the late 1700's, and then became a Calvinistic Methodist Minister, holding Sunday School in the First Methodist Meeting House on Anglesey (their home called Tyn Llwyn) until he passed away on October 31, 1836. Emanuel, his wife, and many of their children/grandchildren are buried at St. Bueno's parish church, no headstone. At death his age was given as 73 years old. Have not been able to find any records for an Emanuel Evans in Llanrhaeadr for birth year 1763. Wondering if Llanrhaidr was his actual birth parish, and if 1763 was his birth year. Is anyone researching this family? There are descendents in Brynsiencyn and Bethesda, that worked in the mines. Have not been able to trace some of his children, so I'm not sure where everyone has ended up. He has been my (very large and unscaleable) brick wall for quite some time. Have found references to him in "Methodistiaeth Mon", "Y Drysorfa", Electoral Rolls, someone's notes on his sermons from Bala Theological College, bonds at the National Library of Wales, letters he wrote to the court to gain a license to preach, and a list of people who donated to the British Foreign Bible Organization. It doesn't look like anyone has researched this family yet on here, so am reaching out to see if anyone in ancestry land has a connection. My subscription will be done soon, but leave a message here or at hdefer@oaisd.org if you have a connection. Thank you!

Find a board about a specific topic