Search for content in message boards

Cully/Culley family in Kilmacoo/Avoca, County Wickclow

Replies: 0

Cully/Culley family in Kilmacoo/Avoca, County Wickclow

Posted: 1535042238000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Culley; Cully; Costello; Byrne; Brien
Greetings,

I am checking in to see if anyone else has records or information for the Cully/Culley family in the Kilmacoo, Avoca area from 1850s onward. Specifically, I am trying to find a cemetery or headstone for my family that died there, as well as tracking down any distant family members still in Ireland.

I have found my 3G Grandfather, Edward Cully, throughout the parish records including his marriage to Jane Byrne in 1854 in Rathdrum and the records for his children's baptisms in Avoca: Patrick, Charlotte, Elizabeth, John, and Mary Jane. From here, Edward and his family moved to Durham, UK to work in the collieries there, where my 2G grandfather Michael Cully was born.

I also discovered a Michael Cully's marriage to Catherine Brien in 1859 in Avoca and the baptisms for their children: Patrick, Mary Jane, Margaret, Edward, and John (All born in Kilmacoo with John being the last in 1872).

Both Edward and Michael listed a Patrick Cully as their father on their marriage records. I believe these two were brothers. I believe one sister of the group, Catherine Cully, married a Michael Costello in Avoca in 1862. They each served as sponsors to each others children in the parish records at different times.

The earliest records have found is for Patrick Cully married to Mary Cully of unknown location and year. They had the following children baptized in Avoca: Michael (1830), Patrick (1833), Margaret (1835), Thomas (1837), however I found no record of baptism for Edward or Catherine. Would it be possible that they went by different names later in adult life? i.e. Patrick baptized in 1833 was actually Edward?

I have also found the following information:
-Death cert for Patrick Cully(Culley) 1879 aged 87 in Kilmacoo, with a Catherine Costello present at death.
-Death cert for Mary Jane Culley 1891 aged 24 in Kilmacoo, with Eliza Mates present at death.
-Catherine Cully in 1901 census aged 76 as a mendicant living in Kilmacoo Upper.
-Catherine Cully death cert 1913 Rathdrum Union workhouse.
-Patrick Culley 1854 Griffith's Valuation in Kilmacoo Upper. (No other Cullys were found in Griffiths, could they all have lived together in the same house?)
-Dog license record for Michael Cully 1885 in Kilmacoo.

Basically from what I have found, my 3G grandfather left Avoca to work in the mines in the UK. I believe his brother's family (Michael) and his sister's family (Catherine Costello) stayed behind as there are records found for them well into 1870s/1880s in the Kilmacoo/Avoca area.

There is also a good chance a great many of my relatives ended up in the Rathdrum Union workhouse. Also, they seemed to have used our surname Cully/Culley interchangeably throughout the records.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Find a board about a specific topic