Search for content in message boards

The Greene family of Clooninisclin, Roscommon

Replies: 0

The Greene family of Clooninisclin, Roscommon

Posted: 1543305953000
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Greene, Gannon, Bailey, Belia, Helbert, Raftery
I am tracing my mother-in-law's family tree, her mother was Bridget Greene of Clooninisclin, (also Clooniniscla/Clooninisglin) Kiltullagh and Bridget's father was Michael Greene who was married to Kate Raftery of Trien, Kilkeevin in 1900

In the 1901 census Michael and Kate were living with Michael's parents Rodger Greene and Bridget Bailey - Rodger's surname was written as Gannon in the census and his age was given as 68 (dob 1833) However when Rodger died in 1910 his age as 62 (1848)! On his children's baptismal records Rodger's name is given as Roger/Rodger/Roderick and Bridget's surname is given as Bailey our Belia.
I cannot find a marriage entry for Roger and Bridget nor baptismal records.

Looking at Griffiths Valuations, the original tenant of their farm 11a was Thomas Greene in 1832, he died in 1878 age 60 seemingly a bachelor. The plot was taken over by the Reps of Thos Greene, with Roger on plot 11a and Pat Helbert and his wife Catherine Greene on plot 11b. Catherine Greene's parents were Thomas Greene and Ann Flynn but I don't know if it was the same Thomas who had just died. Were Roger and Catherine siblings, perhaps Thomas was their uncle or cousin?

Finally I found a newspaper advert from 1825 about leasing a property in Clooninisglin, and Roger Greene (obviously an earlier one) was available to show people the land.

These Greenes are possibly related to the different Roger Greene of Meltruan/Grange who was married to Mary Flynn.

Can anyone help me sort out this tangle? Thank you

Find a board about a specific topic