Wondering if anyone might be able to offer me their expert opinion. I've hit a brick wall of sorts trying to find my ancestors in Ireland (gr-gr-gf and also gr-gr-gm). Here's what I've been able to find out so far on my gr-gr-gf.
- John McDermott b 6 Nov 1829 in Roscommon (date and location given on his tombstone)
- Arrived in United States (New York?) around 1847
- Married Catherine Saul/Sauls in 1850 in Portageville NY
- Had three (possibly four or five) sons; Martin, George and Thomas (possibly also Edward and/or Michael)
- Lived in Genesse Falls NY
- Served in Civil War; 4th NY Heavy Artillery 1862-1865
- Came to Hortonville WI area after his discharge in 1865, to join Catherine and their three sons
- Died 17 Apr 1901 in Hortonville WI area (death record lists his parents' names as Philip and Mary)
I feel somewhat confident on the birthdate and birthplace, given that those are facts he and his family likely would have known. The parents' names are sketchy, since they were provided by someone else on his death record, and might not be totally accurate.
So here's where I'm looking for expert opinions. I came across a Catholic baptism record for Jacobum McDermott, son of Connor and Honoria McDermott - 5 Nov 1829 in Elphin, Roscommon. The date is one day off, the county is right. What doesn't match is the child's name Jacobum (Latin for Jacob, not John) and the names of the parents. Again, I don't even know if the parents' names Philip and Mary reported on his death certificate are even correct in the first place.
Thoughts? Am I getting close to finding his birthplace? As I type this out, and read this over, I think it's not him. But I want to at least see what others think before I just give up and move on.
Michel (McDermott) Bryson