Search for content in message boards

Seeking Strokestown Famine emigrants

Replies: 13

Re: Seeking Strokestown Famine emigrants

Posted: 1540492855000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Toolan Keenan
It has been mentioned that my Irish ancestor, John Toolan, most probably hailed from Strokestown, County Roscommon, Ireland...

What I do know is that John Toolan sailed out Liverpool, England on the Ship "Tuscan", was listed onboard as a "mason" and arrived in NYC in January 1848. In the 1860 Federal Census of Cockeysville MD he was working as a stonecutter in the Beaver Dam Quarry, with his wife Honora and 2 children (my great grandfather Bernard "Bernie" and a younger brother Michael). According to oral family folklore, John Toolan died in Beaver Dam during a flu epidemic which had to have occurred sometime between 1860-1864 when his widow remarried another County Roscommon immigrant, Patrick Keenan.

After reading up on the 1847-1848 Kilglass Civil Parish evictions of Strokestown & Ballykilcline and after reviewing the 1847 Griffith's Valuation Census, I have been lead to believe that my John Toolan most probably is of the Ballykilcline Families (but only with flimsy evidence).

Although the Toolans have been repeatedly mentioned as part of the Strokestown-Ballykilcline Familes, I haven't seen them on any eviction list and even though John Toolan sailed out of Liverpool right smack in the middle of the assisted emigration timeline, I haven't seen his ship "Tuscan" as part of the list of ships that took part in the assisted emigration of the Ballykilcline emigrants to NYC.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that my John Toolan (born abt. 1825) and a 10-year younger Edward Toolan of Ireland both had families in the Cockeysville MD area during the 1850-1870's.

Can anyone help add any insights or information regarding this Toolan Family, either in the Kilglass Civil Parish or in the Cockeysville MD area? My Toolan Family would much appreciate solving this decades-old family mystery!

Rick Stoyell
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JMBD47 1362617970000 
Johnmartinken... 1377186155000 
ARae83 1378175522000 
RStoyell 1540492855000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic