Search for content in message boards

ensko family of ennis, clare

Replies: 8

Re: ensko family of ennis, clare

Posted: 1533609134000
Classification: Query
Greetings Helen,

I’m not related but found a copy of an original marriage record at the free irishgenealgy.ie website for a Thomas Guilfoyle and Minnie Ensko, who were married in Ennis, County Clare. The marriage record is attached to this reply. This may be the Guilfoyle and Ensko connection you were looking for, though I can’t be sure. I also found a lot of other information for the Guilfoyle/Ensko clan, and by extension, the Finn family, but again, I’m not entirely sure these are the particular genealogical lines you are looking for. But in case they are please read on.

Concerning the marriage record for Thomas and Minnie, once you access the attachment, go to the 2nd marriage entry down from the top of the page at marriage number 57. You’ll see that Thomas Guilfoyle and Minnie Ensko were married in the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Ennis on January 21, 1906. At the time of the marriage Thomas and Minnie were shown to be of “full age.” Thomas was a bachelor, which means he hadn’t been married before. Minnie was a spinster, which likewise signifies she had been previously married. The marriage record further shows that Thomas was employed as a “Labourer,” and that Minnie was employed as a “Servant.” Both Thomas and Minnie were living in Ennis at the time of the marriage. Thomas’s father was William Guilfoyle, who was dead when his son and Minnie were married in 1906. William had been a labourer. Minnie’s father is recorded as John Ensko who was still alive at the time of the marriage. He was employed as a “Shoe-maker.” The name of the parish priest who married Thomas and Mary is hard to decipher, but it may be Jno (John) Harrison. The witnesses to the marriage were Wm (William) Sexton and Kattie or Mattie (her first name is also difficult to make out), Hynes. The marriage was recorded in the Ennis Registration District. The name of the local registrar is hard to read, but the person’s last name may be Ahern.

The marriage record for Thomas and Minnie shows they were married in the Ennis Cathedral. The name of this cathedral is the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul. The church was constructed in the early 1840s. For more information about the history of the church, go to:
http://www.ennisparish.com/parish-churches/cathedral/

For a Google Map showing the location of the Cathedral off O’Connell Street and Station Road in Ennis, go to: https://is.gd/yFxQba

For a Google Street View of the Cathedral, see: https://is.gd/Cp7zD5

To read about the architecture of Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral, go to the Buildings of Ireland link at:
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record...

For a map of the location of the cathedral in Ennis from the Buildings of Ireland website, see:
http://webgis.buildingsofireland.ie/HistoricEnvironment/?REG...

For a virtual tour of the exterior and interior of the cathedral go to the following link:
http://www.ennisparish.com/tour/

I next wanted to see if I could find the civil birth records for any children of Thomas Guilfoyle and Minnie Ensko. Instead of doing a blind search at the irishgenealogy.ie website for the births of any Guilfoyle children, I went to the 1911 Irish census, which can be accessed for free at the National Archives of Ireland website link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

I located the Guilfoyle family in the 1911 census showing that Thomas and Minnie had four children. The 1911 census recorded individuals and family members in a residence as of 2 April of that year. The family were living in house 2, Halloran’s Lane, Ennis, County Clare. House 2 doesn’t necessarily refer to the house number of the residence, but may refer to the number on the census form. However, in towns such as Ennis, and larger cities such as Dublin and Cork, the house number may have actually been the street address of the Guilfoyle family.

The 1911 census shows that Thomas was 30 years old and the head of the household. He was born in County Clare. His occupation was car driver. He and the rest of his family were Roman Catholic. He could read and write.

The census also shows that Minnie was 34 years old and could read and write. Ages in the 1911 census are not always accurate, and so Thomas may not have actually been 30 years old, while Minnie may not have actually been 34. On the census lines for Thomas and Minnie you’ll see the number 7, 4, 4. These numbers mean that as of 1911 Thomas and Minnie had been married for 7 years and in that time had 4 children, with all four children still living. The children include 6 year old Eliza, 4 year old William, 2 year old Thomas, and 9 month old Nora. The census shows that Eliza and William were scholars, which means they were students.

See the 1911 census transcription below for the Guilfoyle family:

Residents of a house 2 in Halloran's Lane (Ennis No. 2 Urban, Clare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Guilfoyle Thomas 30 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic County Clare Car Driver Read and write Married 7 4 4
Guilfoyle Minnie 34 Female Wife Roman Catholic County Clare Read and write Married 7 4 4
Guilfoyle Eliza 6 Female Daughter Roman Catholic County Clare Scholar Read only Single
Guilfoyle William 4 Male Son Roman Catholic County Clare Scholar Cannot read Single
Guilfoyle Thomas 2 Male Son Roman Catholic County Clare Cannot read Single
Guilfoyle Nora 9 months Female Daughter Roman Catholic County Clare Cannot read Single
____

To view a copy of the original 1911 census for the Guilfoyle family go to the National Archives of Ireland website link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001753423/

For a picture of O’Halloran’s Lane, Ennis, go to the following link: http://www.moroneysbar.com/photos/index.php?album=41&id=...

There are a couple of problems with the 1911 census in that when Thomas or Minnie filled in the census form, they stated they had been married for 7 years as of 1911. This would have placed their marriage year in 1904, while the marriage record for them shows they were actually married in 1906. The census also shows that their oldest child Eliza was 6 years old, which would place her year of birth in 1905. Does this mean she was born out of wedlock?

I looked for her civil birth record at the irishgenealogy.ie website for the years 1904 through 1907 but didn’t find it. One of the parents, or perhaps a midwife, would normally have reported her birth to the local registrar, but no birth record for Eliza exists, as far as I could tell.

I did however uncover a civil birth record for William Guilfoyle, which shows his middle name was Joseph, and that he was born on 24 July 1906 in Lifford, Ennis. As you saw earlier Thomas and Minnie were married on January 21, 1906, which means that William was born only 6 months after his parents were married. This gives more credence to the possibility that Eliza was born out of wedlock.

William’s birth record is attached to this reply. His is the first birth record at the top of the page and shows that his father was Thomas Guolfoyle of Lifford, Ennis, and that Thomas’s occupation was “car driver.” William’s mother is recorded as Minnie Guilfoyle, formerly Ensko. “M Guilfoye, Mother, Lifford,” reported William’s birth to the local registrar, who recorded the birth in the Ennis Registration District on 9 August 1906.

A Google Map shows that Lifford is in the northeast section of Ennis. See the map at: https://is.gd/LLZ8HI

Next, I found the civil birth record for Thomas Guilfoyle. His middle name is Gerald. He was born in Borheen, Ennis, on 21 May 1908. His father is Thomas Guilfoyle, a car driver residing in Borheen. Thomas’s mother is recorded as “Mary” Guilfoyle, formerly Ensco. This record proves that Minnie’s Christian name was Mary, which means her nickname was Minnie. ”M Guilfoyle Mother,” residing in Borheen reported the birth to the local registrar who recorded the birth of Thomas in the Ennis Registration District on 29 June 1908. Thomas Gerald’s birth record is number 90 on the birth register page.

I couldn’t find a map for the location of Borheen, Ennis, but I believe The Borheen was also in the Lifford section of Ennis.

I then found the civil birth record for Nora Guilfoyle, whose middle name in the birth record is Frances. She was born on 13 June 1910. I couldn’t make out the exact place of birth for Nora in the birth record because of the handwriting. Her father is Thomas Guilfoyle, a car driver residing in the same location where Nora was born. Nora’s mother is Minnie Guilfoyle, formerly Ensko. Minnie reported the birth to the local registrar, who recorded Nora’s birth on 7 July 1910. Her birth record is on Line 147 of the birth record, which is the third entry down from the top.

Also concerning Nora, I found her civil death record. Nora died in Halloran’s Lane, on 4 May 1913. At the time of death she was 3 years old and the child of a labourer. The cause of death was, “Bronchitis 24 hours Certified.” Nora’s mother Minnie, of Halloran’s Lane, was present at the death and reported the death to the local registrar. The death was recorded on 15 May 1913 in the Ennis Registration District. Nora’s death record is the last death entry on the page, Line 227.

Because I’ve had problems in the past with sending multiple attachments with Ancestry message board replies, I’m going to send Nora’s death record Nora’s as an attachment with a second reply.

I then found the birth records of two Guilfoyle children who were born after the 1911 census was enumerated. These children are Ellen Christina and Mary.

Ellen Christina Guilfoyle was born on 22 December 1911 in Halloran’s Lane, Ennis. Her father is Thomas Guilfoyle, a Labourer residing in Halloran’s Lane. Her mother is Minnie Guilfoyle, formerly Ensko. Nora’s father Thomas reported the birth to the local registrar, who recorded the birth in the Ennis Registration District on 8 January 1912. Ellen’s birth record is the 6th entry down from the top of the birth register page at Line 396. Ellen Christina Guilfoyle’s birth will be attached to the second reply

Mary Guilfoyle was born in The Quay, Ennis, on 12 August 1914. Her father is Thomas Guilfoyle, a Labourer residing in The Quay. Mary’s mother is Mary Guilfoyle, formerly Ensko. Mary Guilfoyle of The Quay, reported the birth to the local registrar who recorded the birth in the Ennis Registration District on 4 September 1914. Mary’s birth record is the first listing on the birth register page, Line 317. I’ve attached Mary’s birth record to the second reply.

I looked for the location of The Quay on a Google Map of Ennis, but didn’t find the location. There is a Wood Quay and a Harvey’s Quay north of Parnell Street, just south of the River Fergus in Ennis. Perhaps “The Quay” was close to these locations.

Next I wanted to see if I could uncover the individual birth records for Thomas Guilfoyle and Mary/Minnie Ensko at the irishgenealogy.ie website. I began with Thomas Guilfoyle. The marriage record for Thomas and Minnie shows that Thomas’s father was William Guilfoyle, whose occupation had been labourer. The 1911 census gives Thomas’s age as 30, though a person’s age in these old census returns, as mention earlier are not always reliable.

If Thomas had been 30 years old in 1911, he would have been born circa 1881. With this information I looked for the birth record of a Thomas Guilfoyle who was born between 1880 and 1890 in County Clare, and whose father was William. Even if I found a birth record for such a child I couldn’t be 100 percent sure that this Thomas was the Thomas Guilfoyle in your line, as I don’t know what the maiden name of Thomas’s mother was.

I found only one birth record for a Thomas Guilfoyle that fit the criteria I was looking for. This Thomas Guilfoyle was born in the Circular Road, Ennis, Clare, on 26 July 1880. His father is William Guilfoyle, a Servant residing in Circular Road. Thomas’s mother was Ellen Guilfoyle, formerly Fitzgerald. William Guilfoyle the father reported the birth to the local registrar, whose name was Michael Green. Michael Green recorded Thomas’s birth in the Ennis Registration District on 10 August 1880. I’ve attached Thomas’s birth record to the second reply. Thomas Guilfoyle is the first record in the birth register, Line 64.

For a Google Map of the present-day location of the Circular Road, Ennis, see: https://is.gd/BHpfwb

Go to the following link for a Google Street View of the Circular Road in Ennis: https://is.gd/jgwDKw

Keep in mind I can’t be sure if this Thomas Guilfoyle is the Thomas Guilfoyle who would go on to marry Mary/Minnie Ensko in 1906, but it is possible it is. With this in mind I looked for the civil marriage record of William Guilfoyle and Ellen Fitzgerald at the irishgenealogy.ie website and found it.

The record shows that William Guilfoyle and Ellen Fitzgerald were married in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Ennis on September 23, 1879. At the time of the marriage William was 27 and Ellen was 20. William is shown to have been a bachelor before marriage, and Ellen a spinster, which means they had not been previously married. William’s occupation is “Labourer.” Ellen’s occupation was “Servant.” The marriage record also shows that the residence of both William and Ellen at the time of marriage was Ennis. William’s father is shown to have been Gregory Guilfoyle, a labourer who was deceased. Ellen’s father Martin Fitzgerald, also a labourer who was also dead.

The priest who married William and Ellen was Timothy Hogan. The witnesses to the marriage were John Moore and Bridget Slattery. I’ve attached the marriage record to a third reply.

Helen, I don’t know for sure if the “Roman Catholic Chapel of Ennis” recorded in the marriage record refers to the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Ennis, or if it refers to a smaller church. Indications are however, that it does refer to the Cathedral as I found an old Ordnance Survey Map in color from the 1829 to 1841 time period showing the location of the “R.C. Chapel” in the same present-day location of the Cathedral on O’Connell Street and Station Road. Back when this old map was created these streets had different names. See the old map at the Ordnance Survey Ireland website link at: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,533761,677228,11,7

I next found the Catholic Church marriage record for William Guilfoyle and Ellen Fitzgerald at the National Library of Ireland website (https://registers.nli.ie/) which provides Catholic Church baptism, marriage, and burial records for all of Ireland for much of the 19th century, with some records going back to the 18th century These records are free to access.

The record shows William and Ellen were married in the Drumcliff Catholic Parish on 23 September 1879. This record contains the same information as the civil marriage record, except for the names and occupations of the father of the groom and bride. You can view the marriage record at the following National Library of Ireland link: https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634713#page/78/mo...

There are two pages to the marriage register. The marriage for William and Ellen is on the left-hand page, 4th entry down from the top. You can enlarge the page by means of round icons in the upper center/ right of the screen. The icons are white with green backgrounds. You can also access the full-screen function by clicking on the last icon on the right with the two arrows pointing northeast and southwest.

I had looked for the baptism of Thomas Guilfoyle in the Drumcliff Parish registers, but after further research found that the baptisms held by the National Library of Ireland for the Drumcliff Parish are extent from 19 March 1841 to 1 October 1879. Thomas was born on 26 July 1880, 9 months after the baptism registers end.
See: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0782

I now looked for Thomas Guilfoyle in the 1901 census for County Clare, but didn’t find him. He would have turned 21 on July 26 1901, though when the census was taken on 31 March of that year, he would have still been age 20.

I then looked for Thomas Guilfoyle in nearby Irish counties in the 1901 census and believe I found him. The census shows he was employed as a 20 year old bread van driver living as a boarder in the household of James Shaughnessy. The address of the residence is house 3, Henry Street Dock, Limerick, Ireland. This address would have been within the boundaries of Limerick City. The census shows that Thomas Guilfoyle was born in County Clare, was a Roman Catholic and was not married. See the transcription from the National Archives of Ireland below:

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 3 in Henry Street (Dock Limerick Urban No. 4, Limerick)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Shaughnessy James 25 Male Head of Family Catholic Co Clare Dough Maker Read and write
Not Married
Leemon Robt 24 Male Boarder Presbyterian Co Galway Machinist Read and write Not Married
Guilfoyle Thomas 20 Male Boarder Catholic Co Clare Bread Van Man Read and write Not Married
____

To view a copy of the original 1901 census for the household of James Shaughnessy, go to: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000999816/

I then looked for Thomas’s mother and father, William and Ellen Guilfoyle in the 1901 census but did not find them.

Next I looked for Mary or Minnie Ensko’s birth record. Her marriage record shows that her father was John Ensko, a shoemaker. In the 1911 census Minnie Guilfoyle is shown to be 34 years old, placing her year of birth circa 1877.

I didn’t find a birth record for a Mary or Minnie Ensko in the Ennis Registration District, and so I expanded the search to other County Clare registration districts. These include Ballyvaughan, Corrofin, Ennistimon, also spelled Ennistymon, Killadysert, Kilrush, Scarriff, Tulla, and Limerick.

I looked for her birth record between the years 1875 and 1890 in the other civil registration districts and believe I may have found it. This record shows that a Mary Ensko was born in Ennistymon on 1 January 1875. Her father is John Ensko, a shoe maker residing in Ennistymon. Her mother is Bridget Ensko, formerly Finn. John Ensko, the father, reported the birth to the local registrar, Thomas Foley Brew, who recorded the birth in the Ennistymon Registration District on 8 January 1875. I’ve attached Mary’s birth record to the third reply, along with the civil marriage record for William Guilfoyle and Ellen Fitzgerald. Mary’s birth record is the 2nd birth in the register, Line 9.

The reason I think that that the birth record for Mary Ensko is the Mary Ensko in your line is that I notice in some of your message board posts at Ancestry that you have Finns from County Clare in your genealogy.

Knowing that Mary Ensko was born on January 1, 1875, I now wanted to see if I could find a baptism record for her. To do this I went to the irishgenalogy.ie website.

I found Mary’s baptism record, which also includes her date of birth. She was baptized in the Kilmanaheen Catholic Parish on 2 January 1875. Her date of birth is 1 January 1875 which agrees with her civil birth record. Alternate names for the Kilmanaheen Parish are Clooney and Ennistymon.

In the baptism/birth record Mary’s first name is in the Latin, Maria. Her last name is spelled “Insko,” Her father John’s first name is also in the Latin, “Joannes.” Her mother’s name is Brigida Finn. The address of the family at the time Maria was baptized was Ennistymon. The name of the parish priest who baptized Maria was Redmundo (Redmund) Newell. Mary’s godparents are Ricardo (Richard) Insko and Maria Finn.

You can view a copy of the original baptism/birth record for Maria Insko at the following National Library of Ireland link: https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634162#page/52/mo...

Maria’s baptism is on Line 729 of the register.

The next search involved looking for Mary or Minnie Ensko and her parents John and Bridget in the 1901 census. I found John and Bridget and six of their children, but not Minnie, in the 1901 census in an address of house 7, Old Church Hall, Ennistymon, Clare. The census transcription is below:

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 7 in Old Church Hall (Ennistymon, Clare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Ensko John 45 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Clare Boot and Shoe Maker Read and write
Irish and English Married
Ensko Bridget 48 Female Wife Roman Catholic Clare Read and write Irish and English Married
Ensko Patt 21 Male Son Roman Catholic Clare Boot and Shoe Maker Read and write English Only
Not Married
Ensko Margaret 19 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Clare Domestic Servant Read and write
English Only Not Married
Ensko Eliza 16 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Clare Scholar Read and write English Only
Not Married
Ensko John 14 Male Son Roman Catholic Clare Scholar Read and write English Only Not Married
Ensko Michael 8 Male Son Roman Catholic Clare Scholar Read and write English Only Not Married
Ensko Catherine 5 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Clare Scholar Read only English Only Not Married
____

You can view a copy of the original 1901 census for the Ensko family at the following National Archives of Ireland link: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000468353/

It appears the address of the Ensko family in Old Church Hall was transcribed improperly by the National Archives. This location should be Old Church Hill. The 1901 “House and Building Return.” for the 1901 census gives the location as “Old Church Hill,” rather than Old Church Hall. See: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000468344/

On the House and Building Return you’ll see John Ensko recorded on Line 7 of the document. The heads of household listed before and after him would have been his neighbors. To see a Google Map of the location of Old Church Hill, go to: https://is.gd/aEybnm

For a Google Street View of the same area of Ennistimon/Ennistymon, go to: https://is.gd/eBPQLG

It took a bit a research but I believe I also found Minnie Ensko in the 1901 census. Only in the census her last name is spelled “Enniscoe.” The census transcription from the National Archives shows that she is a 25 year old unmarried Roman Catholic servant born in County Clare, working for the “Irwil” family, in an address of house 1000, Parliament Street, Ennistymon. The head of the household is 43 year old William Irwil, whose occupation is recorded as, “Dist Irish and R.I.C.” The initials R.I.C. stand for Royal Irish Constabulary. But as you’ll see if you download a copy of the original census, William’s last name is actually Irwin, and his job title is Dist. Insp R.I.C., which means he was a District Inspector for the Royal Irish Constabulary.

William, his 33 year old wife Gwendoline, and their three children belonged to the Church of Ireland. In the household with the family are two other servants aside from Minnie. These are 58 year old Michael Nagel and 21 year old Mary McInerney. The 1901 census transcription is below:

1901 census of Ireland

Residents of a house 1000 in Parliament Street (Ennistymon, Clare)

Irwil William 43 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland England Dist Irish and R.I.C. Read and write Married
Irwil Gwendoline M 33 Female Wife Church of Ireland England Read and write Married
Irwil Belinda Mary Gwendoline 10 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Dublin City Scholar
Read and write Not Married
Irwil William James 9 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Kerry Scholar Read and write Not Married
Irwil Wallace John Fallot 1 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Clare Cannot read Not Married
Nagle Michael 58 Male Servant Roman Catholic Co Cork Servant Read and write Irish and English Not Married
Enniscoe Minnie 25 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Clare Servant Read and write Not Married
McInerney Mary 21 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Clare Servant Read and write Irish and English Not Married
_____

To view a copy of the original 1901 census for the Irwin household, go to: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000468451/

In the original census it does look like William spelled his last name as Irwil, but if you look at the last name of his wife Gwendoline, it is spelled Irwin. The last name of their child Belinda Mary Gwendolin also looks like Irwil, but the last name for William James is spelled “Irwin.” The head of the household was supposed have filled out the information on the census form, but in this case, whoever did provide the information on the census was not consistent with spelling their last name, Irwin. They didn’t even spell Minnie’s last name correctly simply because they probably spelled it phonetically, and never asked her how to spell it.

To see where Parliament Street is located in Ennistimon, Clare, on a Google Map, go to: https://is.gd/M1X4bV

For a Google Street View of Parliament Street, Ennistimon, go to: https://is.gd/mhJD2s

To read more about the Royal Irish Constabulary go to the Wikipedia link at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Irish_Constabulary

The natural progression of the research prompted me to go back in time to see if I could uncover the church marriage record for John Ensko and Bridget Finn, as well as their civil marriage record. I didn’t find their church marriage record. They would have been married in the Kilmanaheen Catholic Parish. The alternate name for this parish was Clooney and Ennistymon. I went to the National Library of Ireland website link to see if marriage records for the Kilmanaheen Parish were available, and found out they were not. Only baptism records for the parish are held by the National Library of Ireland, covering the time period between 15 January 1870 to 8 September 1880. See: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0621

But I did uncover the civil marriage record for John “Insko” and Bridget Finn, showing they were married in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Ennistymon on January 12, 1874. At the time of marriage John was 20 years old and Bridget 19. John’s occupation was “Tradesman.” No occupation is recorded for Bridget. John and Bridget at the time of marriage were residing in Ennistymon. John’s father is Patrick Insko, a “Tradesman.” Bridget’s father is John Finn, a “Labourer.” They were married by Father Redmond Newell. It appears that John Insko signed the marriage register with an X, meaning he couldn’t read or write, though a proxy did furnish his name on the marriage record. Bridget signed her last name as “Fynn,” rather than Finn. The witnesses to the marriage were Peter Hinchy and Mary Insko. The marriage was recorded in the Ennistymon Registration District by the registrar, Thomas Foley Brew. The marriage for John and Bridgte is the first one recorded on the marriage register page.

I’ve attached the marriage record for John Insko and Bridget Finn/Fynn to the third reply.

Concerning other records I found the marriage of an Austin Finn and Helena/Helen Chirstina Guilfoyle at the irishgenealogy.ie website, showing they were married in the Pro Cathedral of Ennis, Clare, on 5 February 1937. I am wondering if this couple is in your direct line or a collateral line.

At the time of the marriage both were of “full’ age. Austin’s occupation was labourer, while Helena worked as a domestic. Austin Finn’s father was a labourer also named Austin. Helena Guilfoyle’s father was Thomas, who was a soldier. Austin and Helena were married by Father Michael Hamilton. Helena Guilfoyle actually signed the marriage record using the first name Ellen, rather than Helena.

The witnesses to the marriages were Patrick Maxwell and Christina Guilfoyle.

The marriage was recorded in the Ennis Registration District on 10 February 1937 by the registrar whose first name is Henry, but whose last name appears to be Bayler or Bagler, though I can’t be certain of even those surnames. The marriage for Austin and Helena is the first one on the marriage register page. I’ve attached the marriage record to the third reply.

I believe the Helena/Ellen Guilfoyle in the 1937 marriage record was the daughter of Thomas Guilfoyle and Minnie Ensko Guilfoyle. Earlier, you saw information that Ellen Christina Guilfoyle was born in 1911, which would have made her 26 years old in 1937 when she married Austin Finn. Her birth record shows that her father was Thomas Guilfoyle and her mother Minnie Ensko.

Concerning Austin Finn, I believe I located him and his family in the 1911 census of Ireland, living in an address of house 13, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Clare, Ireland. In the census transcription, as you’ll see below, his name is transcribed as “Augustine.” He is shown to be a 5 year old scholar who could read and write.

His father is 73 year old Austin Finn, an agricultural labourer born in County Clare. He and the rest of his family were Roman Catholic and were born in County Clare. Austin could speak English and Irish. His wife is 60 year old Mary, who could not read and write. The census shows that Mary and Austin, as of the date of the census on 2 April, had been married for 23 years, and in that time period had 13 children, with 10 of those children still living. Including 5 year old Augustine there are five children in the household with their parents. The oldest is 19 year old Kate, a domestic servant who could read and write. She is followed by 12 year old Teresia, a scholar who could read and write. After Teresia is 15 year old Pat, and agricultural labourer who could read and write. 13 year old Michael follows Pat. Michael is a scholar who could read and write. Augustine is enumerated in the household after Michael.

1911 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 13 in Newmarket-on-Fergus Town (Urlan, Clare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Finn Austin 73 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Clare Agricultural Labourer
Cannot read nor write English and Irish Married
Finn Mary 60 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Clare Cannot read nor write English Married 23 13 10
Finn Kate 19 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Domestic Servant Can read and write English Not Married
Finn Tersesia 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Can read and write English
Not Married
Finn Pat 15 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Clare Agricultural Labourer Can read and write English
Not Married
Finn Michael 13 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Can read and write English Not Married
Finn Austine 5 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Can read and write English Not Married
____

To view a copy of the original Finn household in the 1911 census, go to the National Archives of Ireland link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001763616/

In the original census you’ll see that the youngest child is 5 year old “Austin,” rather than “Austine.”

I also located Austin and Mary Finn and 7 of their children in the 1901 census living in an address of house 109 Newmarket-on-Fergus. Austin is shown to be a 61 year old agricultural labourer, and a Roman Catholic who was born in County Clare. The census shows he cannot read but can speak Irish and English. His wife is 35 year old Mary, who could read and write and who was born in County Clare. If you compare the 1901 census with the 1911 enumeration, you’ll see that in the 1911 enumeration Austin is 73 years old and Mary 60 years old. This shows that ages between the 1901 and 1911 census returns do not always add up.

The oldest child in the household is 10 year old Anne C. Finn, a scholar born in County Clare who could read and write. After Anne is 8 year old Kate, a scholar who could read and write. She is followed by 6 year old Delia, a scholar who could read and write. After Delia is 5 year old Patrick, a scholar who could read. Following Patrick is 5 year old Sarah, a scholar who could also read and write. Though listed as the same age the census doesn’t specify whether Patrick and Sarah were twins.

The two youngest children in the household are 3 year old Michael and 2 year old Teresa.

The 1901 census transcription for the Finn household is below:

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 109 in Newmarket on Fergus (Urlan, Clare)

Finn Austin 61 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Clare Agricultural Labr Cannot read
Irish and English Married
Finn Mary 35 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Clare Read and write Married
Finn Anne C 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Finn Kate 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Finn Delia 6 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read and write Not Married
Finn Patrick 5 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read Not Married
Finn Sarah 5 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Clare Scholar Read Not Married
Finn Michael 3 Male Son Roman Catholic Cannot read
Finn Teresa 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Cannot read
____

To view a copy of the original 1901 census for the Finn household go to: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000467214/

In the 1911 census young Austin is shown to be 5 years old, placing his year of birth circa 1906. I looked for his birth record at the irishgenealogy.ie website and found it. The record shows that “Augustine” Finn was born on April 20, 1906 in Newmarket-on-Fergus. His father is also Augustine Finn, a labourer residing in Newmarket on Fergus. His mother is Maria Finn, formerly Broderick. Maria, the mother, reported the birth to the local registrar, whose first name is Edward and whose last name may be Frost. Edward recorded the birth in the Ennis Registration District on 30 April 1906. I’ve attached Augustine’s birth record to a 4th reply
reply.

The next search involved looking for the civil marriage record of Austin/Augustine Finn and Mary/Maria Broderick at the irishgenealogy.ie website. I located their marriage record which shows they were married in the Roman Catholic Chapel of Ennis on 7 January 1888. Both were of full age when they married. Austin is listed as a bachelor and Mary Broderick as a spinster. Austin’s occupation is Labourer, while Mary was a Servant. Both were residing in Newmarket-on-Fergus at the time of the marriage. Austin’s father was John Finn, a labourer who was dead when his son married. Mary’s father was “Patt” (Patrick) Brodgerick, a Labourer who was still alive. The parish priest who married Austin and Mary was Dan Fogerty. The first and middle initial of one of the witnesses was John J. I couldn’t make out his last name because of the handwriting. The first name of the second witness was Ellen, though I couldn’t make out her last name either. The marriage was recorded in the Ennis Registration District on 18 April 1888. I’ve attached the marriage record to the 4th reply, along with the 1906 birth record for their son Augustine Finn.

After locating the 1901 census for the Finn household and seeing that Patrick and Sarah Finn were both 5 years old, I wanted to see if I could find their birth records and if their birth records show they were twins. I found their birth records at irishgenealogy.ie which shows that both Patrick John Finn and Sarah Finn were born in Cahertigue, County Clare on Febbruary 20, 1896. The birth record for Patrick notes he was born at 8 O’C PM, that is 8 o’clock in the evening and that Sarah was born at 8:30 O’C PM, or 8:30 in the evening. Their father is Austin Finn, a labourer residing in Cahertigue. Their mother is Maria Finn, formerly Broderick. Maria reported the births to the local registrar, Edward Frost, who recorded the births in the Ennis Registration District on March 10, 1896. Patrick’s birth is on Line 308 and Sarah’s on Line 309 of the birth register, which I’ve attached to the 4th reply.

Helen, do you have any twins in your immediate family?

The townland where Patrick and Sarah were born today is spelled Caherteige. A Google Map shows that Caherteige, by the shortest route, is 15.1 miles south of Ennis. Caherteige is near the Shannon Airport. See the Google Map at: https://is.gd/4a7wlo

CONCLUSION

Helen, I’m sending four attachments with this, the first reply. These attachments are as follows:

ATTACHMENTS, 1st REPLY

1906 Marriage record of Thomas Guilfoyle and Minnie Ensko

1906 birth record of William Joseph Guilfoyle

1908 birth record of Thomas Gerald Guilfoyle

1910 birth record of Nora Frances Guilfoyle
____

After I receive a reply that you received this first communication, I’ll then send a second reply with four more attachments, which include:

ATTACHMENTS, 2ND REPLY

1913 death record of Nora Guilfoyle

1911 birth record of Ellen Christina Guilfoyle

1914 birth record of Mary Guilfoyle

1880 birth record of Thomas Guilfoyle
____

I’ll then send a third reply with the following attachments:

Attachments 3RD REPLY

1879 marriage record of William Guilfoyle and Ellen Fitzgerald

1875 birth record of Mary Ensko

1874 marriage record for John "Insko" and Mary Finn

1937 marriage record for Austin Finn and Bridget Guilfoyle
____

The last three attachments will be send in a 4th reply. They are for:

ATTACHMENTS 4TH REPLY

1906 birth RECORD of Augustine Finn

1888 marriage record for Augustine Finn and Mary Broderick

1896 birth records for Patrick John Finn and Sarah Finn
____

There are 15 attachments in all. All the attachments are copies of the original birth, marriage, or death records that I uncovered during the research. Once you receive all the attachments, please go over each record carefully to see if you agree that these folks are in your direct line or perhaps in your collateral lines, as you wouldn’t want to add anything to your permanent genealogical record that doesn’t pertain to your direct ancestors and related families.

All of the records you see contained in the four replies were obtained free of charge from the sources mentioned throughout this response.

I hope these records are of interest and will help you, in at least some little way, to advance your research.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tom 1112027549000 
michael 1133377908000 
JohnFForrest 1520318587000 
kaypilk 1520905513000 
gremore47 1520951428000 
mariecampbell... 1526331124000 
DaveBoylan 1533609134000 
JohnFForrest 1520318497000