I am trying to find out more about my Grandfather. Unfortunately, there is little known about him while in england/wales. This is the info I have about him.
- Born around 1888(+/-). He said Carmarthen
- He was tall over 6ft, had red hair, blue eyes. I have a b/w photo taken while in india.
- He claims to have gone to Winchester College (checked with them but no record of any Savage).
- He claimed to have studied at Guys Hospital for a while before dropping out.
- He then apparently joined the army, but did not make a career out if it.
- He said he had 2 sisters who were with the Red Cross during WW1, who died in Europe when their ambulence was blown up.
- One of the sisters names was maybe Gwyneth or Gwendoline. (My mothers name is Gwendoline, Agnes).
- He went to India (Army / Navy?)
- He may have seen action in Afghanistan (Kaibur-Pass region)
- He may have deserted
- He worked in Calcutta, Darjeeling (tea plantation) and Cawnpore (electrician fixing the looms in the Swadeshi cotton mills)
- He had a two children while in India, Gwendoline Agnes, and Shirley Marina.
- He died in india while working in the Swadeshi Cotton Mills in Cawnpore.
- He was an electrician and one of the looms broke. while working on it the electricity was turned back on and he was electricuted (1937).
- Hi lingered for a few days in the Canonment hospital before dying.
- He is buried in Cawnpore, India Jan 16 1937.
We just want to try and find out something about his life before India. Military records, family, childhood, anything.
I have no interest, other than to gift my mother of the knowledge of her father and his ancestry. So she may finally know something about herself.
Thanks for your help with this.