Search for content in message boards

Okerd or Ockert McLeod

Replies: 3

Re: Okerd McLeod

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 1:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Craig, I am extremy busy at the moment and will revert to my family records and update you within the next couple of days, however here some info. The Doubell family crest was registered to one Walter Doubell of Falmere Sussex in 1604.
one Walter David Peter Doubell arrived in (Algo Bay now) Port Elizabeth,from Kent England with the 1820 Settlers.He settled in Port Elzabeth, married and his children moved in
and arround Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Steytlerville.
There was several generations (I will inform you ) and my Grandfather was Walter David Peter Doubell, I spent many holidays in Steytlerville (nick name of Steytlerville is Sakkies)my gradfather was married to Chatarina Van Staden and they had 6 six children, as follows:Eldest a boy Jones Doubell no children,Daughter Chatarina(Rina) spinster al her life, Daughter Rhoda married a Dr,Archer 3 daughters, Son Edgar 3 children one girl and 2 boys, Son Peter William (My Father, one son me, Romey Walter) Daughter Tertia married a du Pasanie 3 daughters. You will note that all the Doubell s come with the English names, such as Walter, Peter, William, Henry,Thomas,Edgar.
I married a Judith Matthysen we had 2 children a Girl now married to a Anderson with one grand Daughter a Boy married to a Nortje, bor out of this marraige a son, Ruben Doubell (8th Genreation since Walter David Peter Doubell 1820 Settlers) and a daughter Kiandra.
Steytlerville got its name from a Dutch Reformed minister name Ds Steytler. The ville was added as in Afrikaans it means he wants to, as his ambition was to establish a church for the community. My Grandfather(W.D.P.Doubell) was a master builder in Steytlerville and served on the city council the intresting story is that he voted against having a Rail Road pass through Steytlerville and voted against the Sale Of Alcohol being sold on the town of Steytlerville.With the result today No rail and no Alcohol is sold within Steytlerville. There is a certain Mr Craven who is involved in the erection of family crests on the main street if Steytlerville and many family crest now adorn the main street with names of well known names of Steytlerville. I will let you have info as soon as I have some free time. Regards Romey
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Craig Sheldon 20 Mar 2010 9:49AM GMT 
judydoubell 28 Mar 2011 8:44AM GMT 
Craig Sheldon 28 Mar 2011 11:49AM GMT 
judydoubell 29 Mar 2011 7:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic