Search the Boards

Search Results for "border reivers" - 199 Messages

per page

Dunions in Stirling Posted on: 02 Jun 2000, by E.M. Dunion

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > Scotland > Stirlingshire > General

...began. Probably due to clan problems and/or crime reasons as the town of Jedburgh is renowned for the Border Reivers of old. Highwaymen to you and me. Earlist records after Jedburgh show Stirling as being the poin...

The Liddell Family Posted on: 23 Jan 2000, by Derek Liddell

Surnames > Liddell

...colloquially that our family have been active in the area for centuries,and formed one of the infamous Clans of Reivers who terrorised the Border Country of Scotland and England and which was known as 'The Debatab...

ELLIOTT, Samuel Parks Posted on: 28 Jan 1999, by edwina

Localities > North America > United States > States > North Carolina > Counties > Cherokee

...Died 1929 in Murphy, NC. Am interested in learning of Samuel's ancestors. They originated in Scotland, border reivers. Would like to know when they immigrated to America, (supposedly through SC). I have info on h...

Re: Correct County? Posted on: 28 Mar 2006, by Gilbert (Rusty) Ballinger

Localities > North America > United States > States > Kentucky > Counties > Harlan

...looking for the ancestors of the Dixons, how they got to America, etc. I understand the Dixons were Border Reivers in Scotland and fought King LONGSHANK with Henry Wallace, as in the film BRAVEHEART. I have a ...

Re: Border names - Cumbria to Ireland - amazing phenomenon Posted on: 01 Sep 2004, by jackstorey10

Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > England > Cumberland > Cumbria

...Elliotts in the Penrith area & all over the Borders - go to Google and enter "Border Reivers" and you'll get Elliotts - they were Reivers just like the Storeys, Croziers, Grah...

Re: John Routledge and James Routledge Posted on: 18 Aug 2002, by jack1578

...Church, near Longtown and at Bewcastle Church. It seems that the Rutledges, like those names above, were Reivers and originate largely in the Border area of South Scotland & North England. ...

Re: GRAHAM in Wigton .. or Langdale Posted on: 21 Apr 2002, by BarbaraParker...

our Grahams were involved with the Border Reivers[a proper load of cut-throats!!!!]My grandmother was Sarah Elizabeth Hall,married Isaac Graham and had two daughters... Freda and Betsy

Re: Armstrong, McMurtha, Owen, Taylor, Moore in Cumbria Posted on: 18 Feb 2006, by Docwra

The Armstrong family were Border Reivers, and the Reivers website has some fascinating info on Armstrongs for anyone researching this name: http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/Surnames/armstrong.htm

Re: Martin, Davidson & O'Neil Posted on: 02 Sep 2003, by cwhandy123

...Carrock as was Isaac. Philip was born in Irthington. All in Cumberland. Being so close to the Scottish border I have to wonder if prior generations crossed back and forth. I did have one cousin say she...

Re: William LITTLE: Walkerton, Ont>TREHERNE, Man.,~1905 Posted on: 19 Jul 2003, by bonnie

Localities > North America > Canada > Manitoba > Western

...were from Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland, but later moved back and forth over the Scottish/English border into Cumberland. I guess that they were probably "Border Reivers". I haven't started to try to trace...

per page