Board:
Message Boards > Localities > Western Europe > Netherlands > Emigration

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.weurope.netherlands.emigration/815.1373/mb.ashx

Subject: Osterhoudt
Author: Joan Moumbleaux
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Osterhoudt

William -

I was born in Washington County (Upstate NY.) My grandmother's name was Lovina Osterhoudt (sp.) I know very little about her father's family. She was born on a canal boat in New York Harbor: I have a copy of her birth certificate -- she died about 5 years ago at the age of 97. Her father's name was Clarence and his brother was named Alexander. They were involved in canal shipping and they seemed to be of some means. I remember her telling me that she visited her father's family while they lived on Colonial Road in Brooklyn. Her father died while she was very young and her Mother, not Dutch, remarried and seemed to keep the Osterhoudt's at a distance. Lovina did maintain a relationship with "Uncle Alex, " and my Dad who is now 86 remembers him well. Family legend has it that the Osterhoudt's owned quite a bit of land in Queens and had stock holdings -- setting up trust funds for my Dad and his sisters. All was seemingly lost in the crash. I have never verified the story. Several years ago I happened across the New York Social Register from the turn of the century and found an Alexander Osterhoudt listed -- which would suggest some acknowledged social prominence. I have a picture of Uncle Alex dressed in a very dapper fur collared coat. I wish I knew more about them. If you have any information that you can share, please let me know!

-- look forward to hearing from you