Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Texas > Counties > Randall

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.texas.counties.randall/34.99.105/
mb.ashx

Subject: CASNER MURDERS
Author: YNH183
Date: Monday, May 14, 2001
Classification: Query
Surnames: CASNER

Thank you so much for posting and the offer to assist. However, I have located a copy of the book and obtained copies of the appropriate pages. Additionally (once I knew where to look) I located several other articles about the murders (all by different authors). One was located in a library in Santa Fe, NM and gave the date of 1-20-1877 as the date of the murders.

While all accounts use newspaper articles as the source of information, I have yet to locate the newspapers that might contain the original reporting of the incidents. Guess these are tucked away on microfilm in Austin, and I haven't made it down there yet. Was your professor prehaps one of the authors?

I had hoped to locate the final resting place of the two brothers in Randall County. But from what I have learned, they were probably buried 'where they fell'.

Would you believe another brother of the two came through that part of TX in 3-1877 and killed nine men in revenge (but he did not go to jail). He is then located in the late 1890s in Haskell County, TX; In 1900 he is tried and convicted for his part in the killing of one man in a range war. He appeals the conviction and wins. The last record I have found of him is in 6-1902 when he is at the courthouse in Haskell County selling off the last of his rangeland (presumably to pay the attornies who defended him).

No wonder I'm so mesmerized by this family (and to think I'm connected to it).