Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Texas > Counties > Parmer

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.texas.counties.parmer/129/mb.ashx

Subject: McDonald
Author: Gregory McDonald
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDonald

David,
Hello again! I forgot one of James Pierce McDonald's sons in my last posting to you. His name was Ralph Lee McDonald. He was born February 1, 1917 and passed away July 7, 1998. He lived in Albuquerque, NM and Vallecito Lake, Colorado. His wife was Juanita "Nita" McDonald.
I saw you live in San Antonio, Texas. My Grandmother wanted all her grandchildren to be born over Texas soil (I was born in Santa Fe, NM), so she put an old Folgers coffee can under the delivery bed when we were born - it was full of Texas soil.

I've lived and worked in Texas, but not so much in San Antonio. Mostly I was working around Houston, Galveston, The Woodlands, Amarillo, and Archer City among others. My brother Tom and I have worked in the oil patch for a long time.

You might be interested in Jack Pierce McDonald's son Carol (yes, Carol - that his wife's name, too). He was VP of Shell Oil operations worldwide and he helped start the Shell Houston Open golf tournament. He lived in The Hague for many years, but has since retired and lives in Santa Fe, NM

I'd love to see what you know about James Woodson McDonald and his wife Martha. My Dad, Julian Lavon McDonald, never told me much about them before he passed a few years back. My Dad left the Bovina area around WWII and became a B-24 pilot in Europe (he lied about his age and joined when he was 16, making him the youngest bomber pilot in the Army Air Corps - George Bush senior was the youngest fighter pilot - the old actor Jimmy Stewart my Dad's Commander. Dad came back from the war and became a star football player at the University of New Mexico. Upon graduation, he became the Head football coach at Santa Fe High School for 15 years, and then became the Head of Student Aid for UNM, where he eventually became the Athletic Director at UNM. While there, he awarded the first full time athletic scholarship to a woman (Cathy Carr), and he worked diligently for years and brought the NCAA Basketball's Final Four to UNM - it was the year Jimmy Valvano won the championship for NC State. My Dad was quite a guy! His older brother Raymond Leroy McDonald was also a WWII bomber pilot, but he was shot down over Germany and spent a long time in a Stalag there - Later, he became head of the NM Gas Retailers Association where he owned and operated Texaco stations all over the state. He passed away a few years ago, as well.

More to come - I hope you'll contact me - I'd love to see what you've found on the family.

May God Bless,

Greg "Mac"