Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Tennessee > Counties > Monroe

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.tennessee.counties.monroe/1756.1/
mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Truman Roberts and Caroline C Smith Roberts
Author: JoyLocke36
Date: Sunday, February 20, 2011
Classification: Query
Surnames:

I find in Bierely Hale funeral home records:
Callie Robert 3/12/1852-12/16/1939 md. L.C. Roberts buried Chestua (prob. Baptist Cem.) fa. Layerse Smith and Easter

L.C. 12/25/1863 1/13/1941 Chestua fa. Gale Roberts.
You can also find the real death certs. on www.familysearch.org
I've worked on Gale Roberts before and I'm sure I have his wife as Octavia Burlison. There's a murder trial concerning Gale.
Neither are listed in cem. book so may not have stones?
Caroline Smith md. Colubus Roberts 12/22/1877 in Monroe so I'd say the 1863 birthdate above is wrong. I recall from working this line, he was called Lum for short.They're in our 1880 Monroe census with a son Edgar 1 yr. old. Columbus was 22. Note the death date you gave for Thurman is the same as for L.Columbus. The murder trial involved Gale was his involvement with bushwhacker John Kirkland killing a woman. They were too scared to bring in John so I guess none of the men served time. The 1870 we have on Monroe genweb has Caroline's dad as Lazarus Smith and mom Clarisa. Lazarus Smith md. Esther C. Johnson 11/6/1850 Monroe Co.