Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Iowa > Counties > Floyd

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.iowa.counties.floyd/915/mb.ashx

Subject: Henry Berry 1856- ?; son of William Berry & Elizabeth Harmon
Author: Cheryl_Bills
Date: Thursday, September 11, 2003
Classification: Query
Surnames: Berry, Harmon, Vaughn, Bassett, Lincoln

I am seeking for any information on Henry Berry born abt 1856 in Union, Floyd, Iowa. His father, William Berry was a farmer and in the military; his mother, Elizabeth Harmon, was a daughter of Alpheus Harmon and Huldah Vaughn. In 1856, William, Elizabeth and baby Henry were living with her mother and step-father, Loren & Huldah Bassett. Here is where I have found Henry:

CENSUS: 1856: Union, Floyd, Iowa page 680
21/20 Loren Bassett age 48; married; res of State 1 year; born CT; farmer
Holday Bassett 48 married; res of state 1 year; born NY
Loren Bassett 11 Res of State 1 year b. IL
Edwin Bassett 9 Res of State 1 yr: b. IL
Harriet C. Bassett 8; Res of State 1 yr. b. IL
21/21William Berry 30; married; res of state 1 year; b. NH farmer
Elizabeth Berry 21 married; res of state 1 year; b. PA
Henry Berry (no age given); no residency given; b. Iowa

1860: Rockford, Floyd, Iowa June 25, 1860
159/153 Loren Bassett 53, farmer $100/400 b. CT
Huldah Bassett 53 b. NY
Loren Bassett 14 b. IL
Edwin Bassett 12 b. IL
Harriet Bassett 9 b. IL
William Berry 33 farmer; b. New Hampshire
Elizabeth Berry 32; b. PA
Henry Berry 4 b. Iowa

1870 Union, Floyd, Iowa page 353
55/56 Berry, Wm 43 Blacksmith, 300/160 b. NH
Berry, Elizabeth 42, keeping house b. PA
Berry, Henry 14, b. Iowa

Loren and Huldah left Iowa in 1862 and went to Utah. William and Elizabeth stayed in Union, Floyd, Iowa. Elizabeth died sometime soon after census according to family tradition. No date or further info on her or William.

In Nov 1886, when record of heirs of Huldah Bassett were recorded, Henry E. Berry was lifing in Laddonia, Audrian, Missouri.

He had an Aunt Caroline (Harmon) Lincoln & several cousins in Hopkins, Nodaway, MO
In 1880, an Uncle, Alma Harmon, lived in Holt, Bigelow, Missouri with his family, but by 1886, had moved back to Glenwood, Mills, Iowa.

I cannot find Henry Berry in 1880 or any time thereafter. Did he marry and have a family? Where did he die? Where did his parents die?
Thanks in advance for any help. I have much info on his Harmon family; nothing on his Berry family except his father, William was born about 1826 in New Hampshire.