Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Illinois > Massac County Genealogical Society [MCGS]

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.illinois.mcgs/386.2.2/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Sara Elizabeth Copeland
Author: Karen Riley Hall
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Classification: Query
Surnames: Riley, Copeland, Little, Jones, Douglas, Culbertson,

I have several more generations for Sarah E. Copeland. Her father and mother were Catherine Elkins and Alfred Copeland. Catherine was a daughter of Sarah Graves and William Elkins. William was a son of John and Elizabeth (Stiles) Elkins. Sarah Graves was a daughter of John S. Graves.
Alfred Copeland was a son of John C. Copeland and Sarah Short. John C. Copeland and his wife Sarah are buried on my families farm in Massac County, IL. Their graves are located high on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River. I do have pictures of their graves if you would like a copy of that. I made the pictures in Jan of 2006 and they are hard to read but this winter I want to get back there with a can of shaving cream. It will lighten the etching in the stone and make a better picture.
Your John C. Copeland and my Sarah Sally Copeland were children of William and unkown. John C. was born Sept. 30, 1775 in Hillsboro, Loudoun Co., VA and he died Jan. 2, 1853, Massac County, IL. John's sister Sarah Sally Copeland was born 1786, Loudoun Co., VA and she died after Dec. 19, 1850 in Massac Co., IL.
William Copeland was born about 1754 in Londonderry, Ireland and died June 1822 in Vienna, Johnson Co., IL. He married Jane Gamble about 1774. William is buried on the Alfred Hook farm in Johnson Co., IL. William served in the Revolutionary War. I have about 4-5 pages of information out of the Copeland book that I can send to you if you want it.
William was a son of David Copeland and Deborah Unkown. David was born about 1720 Londonderry, Ireland and he died February 9, 1796 in Hillsboro (the gap), Loudoun Co., VA. He married Deborah (his second wife) about 1753 in Londonderry, Ireland. Deborah was born in Londonderry, Ireland and died Feb. 9, 1806 in Loudoun Co., VA. There are several pages on this family at the beginning of the Copeland and Little Family book by A. Lucille Harney and Fairline Bigley. Your friend might really want to purchase this book since there is so much history of her family in it.
If I can help let me know. My address is 4354 Quality Rd., Lewisburg, Ky. 42256.