Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Connecticut > Counties > New Haven

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.connecticut.counties.newhaven/165
3.2/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Condon, Metcalfe (CT, NY)
Author: chuckmet311
Date: Monday, February 28, 2011
Classification: Query
Surnames: Metcalfe, Rohde

Hi,

I just found your post. I have some information regarding your John William Metcalfe and his family. John W. is the brother of my great-grandfather, Alfred Metcalfe. In fact, a week ago I came into possession of a photo of my GGF, labeled as "Alfred with his brother 'Jack'" Thus I believe I have a picture of your GGF too. I also came into possession at the same time of a picture of Joseph Metcalfe, Alfred and John's father. Also in the picture are three women, whom I believe to be three of Joseph's daughters, and two children, whom I believe to be two of his many grandchildren.

I believe that your GGM Elizabeth Rohde's sister Emma Francis Rohde was married to John's brother Thomas Charles Metcalfe. I should clarify, I do know that Thomas and Emma were married, but I am not 100% positive Emma and Elizabeth were sisters. The confusion comes in with their last name, sometimes it is listed as Rhode, sometimes Rohde, and sometimes even Rhodie.

In the 1920 Census, John is listed as living with his brother's widow, Emma, and one of her sons and one of her daughters, in Elmira, New York.

I will be happy to share whatever I have.

Chuck Metcalfe