Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Connecticut > Counties > Middlesex

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.connecticut.counties.middlesex/76
0.1.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: James Ray, Sr., Haddam CT, d 1730/31
Author: danraydesc
Date: Sunday, April 13, 2008
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ray

Jeff, When I posted this query, all Ancestry.com postings led me to believe that my ancestor Ezra Camp Ray, was the child of Ezra Ray of Haddam CT. I subsequently was given a deposition by Ezra Camp Ray that his father was John Ray of Litchfield CT, and could be traced to Daniel Ray, who settled in Plymouth and Salem MA by June 1630.
Joseph W. Ray in his 2005 book [Descendants of Daniel Ray of Plymouth and Salem] lists 7 Ray early settlers in MA/CT, and says he has discovered several more. In his book, he states: "James Ray who married at Hingham, MA, on 7 Jan 1682, Elizabeth (Foster) Hewitt [NE 1221:209]. He may have been the James Ray whose sons James, Joseph, and Peter Ray are said to have settled at Haddam, CT, about 1710 {SB 4:62]."
"Narragansett Country" may have referred to the Providence/Narragansett RI area.
Joseph Ray has circumstantial evidence that Daniel Ray may have come from a Suffolk, England family.
John