Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > California > Counties > Nevada

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.california.counties.nevada/1802.1
/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Grass Valley cemeteries & ROWE
Author: NevCoCalGal
Date: Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rowe, Bennalack, Carbis, Danby

Greetings Heather,

Well, I know I've seen at least one headstone, unfortunately can't remember in which cemetery, possibly Pine Grove in Nevada City, have been stomping about through many of them lately. Started with Old St. Patrick's in Grass Valley (corner of Chapel and Church streets), have pictures of every existing stone there, no Rowes however.

I do see that there is a mention of the Secretary of the Aurora Chapter, N. --, Order of the Eastern Star, Maria Rowe (pg. 158); as well as Mary Ann Rowe appearing as the wife of James Bennalack (pg. 212) both pgs. appearing within History of Nevada County 1880 (Thompson & West).

Within the pages of:

GENEALOGICAL ABSTRACTS FROM OLD MORTUARY RECORDS G.V , N.C prepared by Capt. John Oldham Chapter DAR

on pg. 25 is the following entry:

ROWE, MARTHA A., age 48 yrs 7 mo 19 da, bp Indian Hill. Res. Nevada City. Occupation housewife. Died May 8, 1904 of bronchial pneumonia in San Francisco. Buried in Pine Grove. Husband, WILLIAM ROWE.

There are within the pages of Nevada County Vital Statistics 1850 - 1869 by David Allan and Ardis Hatten Comstock the following entries for ROWE:

Under Births:

Cora A. Rowe ca. April 19, 1869 Grass Valley Father: Henry Rowe; Mother: Mary J_____. (pg. 15)

Under Nevada County Grooms:

Richard H. Rowe married Mahala Carbis on Feb 27, 1867 in Nev. City (pg 49)

William Rowe married Mary Danby on Jan. 17, 1868 in G.V. (pg 49)

Under Naturalizations:

Henry Rowe Aug. 24, 1867

John Rowe Aug. 9, 1862

Richard Rowe Mar. 29, 1867 (all appearing pg 66)

Under Deaths:

Cora A. Rowe s/o Henry and Mary J. June 26, 1869 G.V

Cyrus Rowe Dec. 12, 1858 Nev. City

Joseph Rowe Dec. 20, 1868 (22yrs) G.V. (all appearing pg 96)

Would you happen to have specific given names of any Rowe's for whom you seek? Or dates perchance? It may take some time as I believe this is a fairly common name here-abouts. Don't know how many families go back to the early days though. Will keep my eyes peeled when out and about.

Here's hoping some of this is of use