Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Arkansas > Counties > Hot Spring

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.arkansas.counties.hotspring/1171/
mb.ashx

Subject: Wilder & Harp Families of Malvern Arkansas
Author: jmwilder147
Date: Thursday, June 06, 2013
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilder Harp

Hello. I'm new here to the forum and Ancestry.com. My name is Jonathan "Jon" Wilder and I come from the Wilder family of Malvern Arkansas.

In doing my genealogy research I've also learned that through my dad's grandmother I am also blood lined into the Harp family as well.

My father, Warren V Wilder, is the son of Archie P Wilder of Malvern Arkansas. At the time of my dad's birth, Archie had relocated through several travels out to Fresno CA where he settled and I currently reside. He was a 2nd generation saw filer and had opened up his own saw sharpening and sales business known as Wilder Saw Works upon settling in Fresno CA.

Archie P Wilder is the son of John Russell Wilder and Clarisa Tommie (Baugh) Wilder, also of Malvern Arkansas. John Russell was a 1st generation saw filer and he at one time worked at the Wisconsin & Arkansas Lumber Company, where my grandfather Archie eventually went to work with him as well. As I've heard the story told, John told him when he completed 6th grade that he wasn't going to get much of an education past that and that he might as well get a job and go to work. So he went to work with his father at the saw mill, thus becoming 2nd generation saw filer.

My father, Warren, went to work for his dad's business shortly before he completed high school and still works as a saw filer today, making him 3rd generation saw filer.

Clarisa, or "Tommie" as she was more commonly known, died at the young age of 27 in 1906. Cause of death is unknown but I suspect she may have died of typhoid fever as that was very common at the time of her death.

Clarisa is the daughter of William Henry Baugh and Sarah Corissa (Harp) Baugh. Sarah is one of the daughters of Emanuel M. Harp and Marguerite Ison, and this is where my tie to the Harp family comes in. Emanuel and Marguerite would be my 3rd great-grandparents.

Anyone who is researching the Wilder and/or Harp families of Malvern Arkansas please feel free to post here or send me a private message with any information you may have.