Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Arkansas > Counties > Greene

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.arkansas.counties.greene/2852.1/m
b.ashx

Subject: Re: Napolean B. Mothershed
Author: bobeddings
Date: Wednesday, July 06, 2016
Classification: Query
Surnames:

Since I saw your posting about your Mothershed Family and it is such an unusual name (compared to Jones, Smith, etc,), I thought I would see if I could answer your questions. In looking for the answers, I found other info about your family, which I will discuss . Perhaps you already know what I will say.

The oldest Mothershed I found was Thomas Mothershed.. He was born 1790 in Lancester Co., S.C. and died during the period 1854-59 in Benton Co., Tn. - or maybe in Greene Co., Ark. Circa 1828 he married Charity Swindle, possibly in Humphrey Co., Tn. (the county from which Benton was formed). Thomas and Charity had about 10 children, with son Napolean (b. 1848) being the last.

Charity was born 1810 and died in the 1870's in Greene Co. It is hard to determine where she was born because on various census' she said SC , NC, and Tn. My best guess would be NC.

Thomas and Charity moved the family from Benton Co., Tn. to Greene Co., Ark. late in the 1850's.

Son Napolean (b.1848) married "Martha" and had at least 5 children: Edwin, Elizabeth, Lucy, William, and Luiza.

Regarding when Napolean and Martha got married, here is my guess. Son Edwin was their first child and was born 8/1868 (conceived about 11/1867). Therefore, I would guess they married during the period 12/1866-12/1867. I looked at marriages in several surrounding counties, and found nothing.
Son Napolean (b. 1848) was born in .

Regarding Martha's maiden name I don't know for sure. On the 1860 census there were several "Marthas" ,born 1844 in Ark. (like Napolean's wife). There was one Martha Ann Knight who lived in the same town as Napolean. Maybe she was Napolean's Martha.

I hope this gives you some useful info. Bob Eddings.