Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Arkansas > Counties > Cleveland

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.arkansas.counties.cleveland/769.2
/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Families of Indigent Civil War Soldiers, Bradley Co. AR
Author: omarcella
Date: Tuesday, May 01, 2012
Classification: Query
Surnames:

The indigent list was compiled, probably at the the county level, PRIOR to the 1865 establishment of the Freedman's Bureau. According to Susan Gardner Boyle, in her Editor's Notes of The Arkansas Family Historian : Vol 45 No.3 Sept 2007,
..."the list of indigent families, probably of Confederate soldiers, in Bradley County during the Civil War is a record that was entered into a courthouse book that was used later by the Freedman’s Bureau,..."
Note that the list was 'USED LATER' by the Freedman's Bureau, rather than COMPILED by the Bureau.
Judging by reported birth dates of my own ancestors (whom appear on the list w/ ages), I think this list was compiled sometime in 1863 -- very possibly AFTER 30 Jul yet BEFORE 03 Oct 1863.
I hope this helps Sharon and others to narrow down the compilation date of the Bradley County, ARkansas Civil War Indigent List, Marcella