Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > Canada > Ontario > Russell

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.canada.ontario.russell/942/mb.ashx

Subject: Andrew Thomas Arbuckle and Margaret Beatty marriage Ottawa District 9 Dec 1833
Author: mmkharrison
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Classification: Query
Surnames: Arbuckle Beatty

Hello:

This marriage was conducted by the Reverence John Edwards who was minister at the Baptist Church in Clarence at the time ... so I suspect that Andrew and Margaret lived in the area.

I believe that Margaret may be my great-great-grandmother who emigrated from Ematris, County Monaghan, Ireland with her father George Beatty and several siblings circa 1832. Family lore has them arriving in Quebec but, before they settled in Toronto and later Huron County, they were said to have been in the Ottawa Valley where they worked in the timber trade.

Margaret had a brother who was a millwright and bore the unusual first name of Lancelot. One of the witnesses to the 1833 marriage was Lancelot Beatty. The transcriber of "Ottawa District Marriages 1800 - 1853" wasn't certain of his first name and recorded it as "Lannulet (Lancelot?)". But I have seen the original record on microfilm at the Ontario Archives and have no doubt that it is Lancelot.

Andrew must have died before 1836 by which time the Beatty family were in Toronto and Margaret married my great-great-grandfather William Clarke. She is described as a spinster - not a widow - in the marriage record. A clerical error? A family cover-up?

I would love to be able to know for certain if the 1833 bride of Andrew Arbuckle was my great-great-grandmother or not. Would anyone have a Margaret Beatty and Andrew Arbuckle in their tree? Or would anyone know anything about Arbuckles who lived in the Clarence area at that time? Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mary