Board:
Message Boards > Localities > North America > United States > States > Connecticut > Counties > New London

URL:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.connecticut.counties.newlondon/39
20.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Groton Vital/Baptism records
Author: Chuck Plumb
Date: Monday, April 9, 2018
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bolles, Powers, Plumb

Good Afternoon,

I descend from Margaret Bolles (daughter of Isaiah and Lydia Powers Bolles) who married Green Plumb in New London in 1758. I've been looking for the same type records for 20 years; frankly I'm not sure they exist.

Groton records, such as they are and from what I've seen are more focused upon commercial, legal and property matters. The early New London (Towne) records are much more helpful (and yet limited in their own ways). The New London County Historical Society has searchable records for those on site, or you can order information on specific surnames, families, etc., and once or twice in the past I've used that resource.

THE DIARY OF JOSHUA HEMPSTED (my 7th grand uncle) is a gold mine of information covering nearly 50 years of New London life from the perspective of the Diarist, and is indexed by surname. Hempsted lived in New London Town, but as a surveyor, jurist, farmer, deacon and businessman he had dealings throughout New London County.

The Bolles are an extremely interesting family, and fascinating due to Thomas Bolles' loss of his first wife Mary Zipporah Wheeler Bolles and their two older children, and also their unique affiliation with the Rogerene Sect. John Bolles (1677-1767) and his wife Sarah Edgecomb Bolles are particularly interesting due to the persecution they endured from the "orthodox," Puritanical New Londoners. Sarah's loss of a child while incarcerated by the New Londoners is also gripping!

Good hunting, Cousin!

Regards,

Chuck Plumb
Sierra Vista, Arizona